Healthy Minds Cooperative (HMC)
Board of Directors
45 Alderney Drive Suite 200, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia B2Y 2N6
Nova Scotia Co-operative Association Act; Registry Number 3102658
Position Title: Board Member
Term: 2 Years (with a maximum of 3 terms — appointed or elected annually at the Annual General Meeting)
Time Commitment: Five hours per month (meetings, preparation, consultation)
The Board of Directors is collectively accountable to the HMC, community, funders and other stakeholders (ex. Nova Scotia Health Authority). They are accountable for HMC’s performance in relation to its mission and strategic objectives and for the effective stewardship of financial and human resources.
- Serves as an active Board Member.
- Regularly attends Board meetings and important related meetings.
- Makes serious commitment to participate actively in Board work.
- Volunteers for and willingly accepts assignments and completes them thoroughly and on time.
Essential Functions and Duties
- Stay informed about Board matters, prepare well for meetings, and reviews and comments on minutes and reports.
- Get to know other Board members and builds a collegial working relationship that contributes to consensus.
- Is an active participant in the Board’s evaluation and planning efforts.
- Participate in fundraising for the HMC.
- Prepare for and attend Board meetings.
- Work as a team member and supports Board decisions.
- Participate in the review of the HMC’s mission and objectives and the development of a strategic plan.
- Monitor the performance of HMC in relation to objectives and core values.
- Approve the budget and monitors financial performance in relation to it.
- Abide by the by-laws, code of conduct and other policies that apply to the Board.
- Establish, review and monitor policies that guide core operational practices (eg. financial management, human resource management).
- Participate in the evaluation of the Executive Director.
- Participate in the recruitment of new Board members.
- Participate in the evaluation of the Board itself.
- Participate in committee work.
- Attend and participate in the Annual General Meeting.
- Keep informed about community issues relevant to the mission and objective of the HMC.
- Actively participate in fundraising initiatives and activities (ex. committees, events, fundraising actions).
Individual Board members have no authority to approve actions by the HMC, to direct staff, or to speak on behalf of the HMC, unless given such authority by the Executive Director.
The member’s performance will be evaluated annually based on the performance of the general functions
Removal of a Board Member
A member may be removed from the Board, by majority votie, if absent from three meetings without reasonable cause.
- In addition to being a resident of Nova Scotia, Candidates must be one of the following:
- Mental health consumer
- Family member of mental health consumers (who are not mental health consumers)
- Mental health service providers (who are not mental health consumers)
- A person who has an interest in mental health.
- Demonstrated leadership and involvement in the community
- Respected by Board members, the ED and key stakeholders
- Ability to effectively lead the Board in dealing with difficult issues
- Willing and able to commit time to leadership of the organization
- Ability to communicate, listen and seek others’ input
- Agrees with objectives of the Cooperative
- Accepts leadership position when requested
- Supports the Cooperative wherever possible or a mental health service provider, as indicated in Section 10(b) of the HMC by-laws.
- Previous fundraising experience is an asset.